Thursday, February 05, 2009

Back to normal!!

WOW!! I don't even know where to begin...Last week was wild!!! As many may have heard a Winter ICE storm hit Kentucky!! It was BAD!! I think twenty four people the last time I heard have been killed in this ICE storm!! We did not have electric for 5 days during this storm. The ice was 3 or 4 inches thick. Many around us still does not have electric back on. Ice is so much worse than snow!!!

We did pretty good the first day or so..but boredom kicked in and we began getting very irritable!! haha... We had to pull our mattresses in the living room and close off the rest of the house to keep it warm enough for us to stay in our house. Fortunately we have a Gas Heater..(many were not as fortunate) so we were able to keep warm from that..we also have a Gas stove to cook with..so we were able to still do most of our cooking at the house. Needless to say we ate ALOT of soup!! LOL!!! We went to bed at like 8:30 the first night..out of not knowing what to do with ourself because the sun had went down and all we had was candle light...We played charades and other crazy games for awhile..My oldest daughter even said.."my parents are better than cable!" haha...I guess we can act really crazy if we need to to entertain.

But we eventually became bored of that too...so my WONDERFUL Father...found a place that was getting a new shipment in of generators...because up until this point you could find them for miles around..(believe me we know..we did our homework and could not find one ANYWHERE...several counties away) Anyways he went and got one and let us hook up to it..that provided us with a lamp, and the TV...Perfect..now I could watch TV or READ...two of my most favorite things to do....

Anyways when our electric did come back on we yelled and hollered..it was a very rejoicing event!! I guess the thing I hated the most was that we couldn't take a hot shower...that really means a lot...I heated water so we could bathe and Donald's sister was kind to let us come to her house to take a shower...but it was rough...

It is Thursday of the next week now..we did get a little more snow after all of that..but that wasn't too bad...Now I think ....I don't know if I should say it or not...but.... I think....Things.... are back to normal... (looks around and puts hands over head..) LOL...just kidding...I hope everyone else is having or had a better week.

Here are a few pics..of the Ice Storm...

Our house is just beyond all the iced trees!!

The trees are so heavy with all the ice....


MY FRONT YARD...I still have some of the damage still left in my yard.


Even though it was very bad...it is pretty.

A split tree by the ice...that was a pretty tree too.

6 comments:

Vicki Smith said...

Sister Marsha, hope you're warming up and thawing out and enjoying HOT showers again. It's hard to imagine that much ICE. Scary stuff. Thank the Lord for protecting you and providing all your needs during the storm.

marshasblog said...

Yes..I am thawing out thankfully..We're actually suppose to start a warm up and might even see 60 degrees before it starts to get cold again..YAY!!!!!!!!!!

Montgomery's said...

Wow, we had a bad ice storm last year with about 2" of ice. Power was out for a week. I know what it's like to not be able to find a generator for miles around. Thankfully, we have a gas fireplace, gas stove and gas water heater. The kids survived with no TV and found other things to do while we played a lot of Boggle. Glad you are getting back to normal. It's not easy to recover from such a huge ice storm. My parents were without electric for about a week in AR. A lot of people got hit hard from that storm.

Tammy K. said...

The pictures are pretty in spite of all the ice. I am glad you guys are warm again and safe.
Sharades, how fun. Those are some memories your girls will never forget.
Teresa and Doug still do not have power or plumbing. It has been pretty hard. Two weeks now w/out it. They told her they will be lucky to have it back in two weeks at their house.
Frank finally got power so they have been going over there for hot showers. Teresa and Doug do have a gas fireplace and oven that has helped, but even with that the house is not getting any warmer then 60-62 degrees in the daytime and temps are dropping to 9 degrees at night. So pray for them. My parents are staying w/ Frank so that is good.

marshasblog said...

Amy, yeah..I heard AK got it just as hard as we did..My cousin Heath and your cousin Kristi (LOL..we're family..haha) lost their power too I think...it was a bad deal..but what don't kill us makes us stronger.

Tammy, Wow..I think they are all worse off in that area than we were.. I think because it is much more rural in that area than here. We have a BIG city next to us and we're a pretty big city too. I will be praying for them..that many kids in a house that doesn't have electric..have mercy!!! I don't think Sis. Cindi and Bro. Kevin have any power either and my cousin Shane just got theirs back on sometime last week...I want spring to get here soooo bad!!!

Kasey said...

Glad things are returning to normal. Ice isnt any fun, but praise the Lord you are all okay.